Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ecclesiastes 3:1: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun."

Today something happened to me while I was fishing that proved to me how really old and "out of it" I am.

I had gone to the coast to get away from it all and was wade fishing with one of my favorite little reefs. A man waded up not far from me, nodded a "good morning" and started casting near the reef. I could tell he needed to get away, too.

Suddenly, out there in the ocean, a telephone started ringing. I couldn't believe my ears at first, but sure enough, a phone was ringing insistently. The man calmly reached into a pocket of his wading vest and after taking it from a plastic bag, pulled out his cellular phone and nonchalantly said "Hello."

I couldn't help but laugh and he looked at me as if I was the strange one. As he stood there still watching the popping cork he has just thrown out and all the while carrying on an animated conversation, I couldn't help but try to imagine who in the world would call a fisherman while he was fishing.

My imagination ran away with me like the fish he was scaring off with all that talk. Who could be calling? Maybe it was the game warden asking him the size of the last redfish he had strung. Maybe it was his wife seeing if he was really just fishing for fish. Maybe it was his boss asking him how his cold was and when he thought he could return to work. Maybe he was CIA or FBI and was working undercover, or underwater as it were.

Who would call a fisherman when he was fishing? I guess in this modern age it is becoming increasingly harder to "get away from it all." I felt so sorry for that guy. I slowly moved away to the other side of the reef when I heard the seagulls call and I knew the trout had moved away.

Anyway, I was afraid that the phone would ring again and he would say, "Hey, Lady, it's for you."

I'd just die.

Dear Lord, when You call me, help me to answer, even if I am fishing. But, Lord, in your wisdom and power, don't let anyone else do it when I am trying to get away from it all. Call me old-fashioned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

LOL! I'm not a fisherwoman but the idea of getting away resonates. And when one is away, looking for some peace & quiet, a cell phone doesn't fit the picture!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home