Friday, July 28, 2006

Exodus 20:3: "Thou shall have no other Gods before me."


Today I decided that I am a controlling, domineering "know-it-all." (Readers, please do not call me to confirm this opinion.) Admitting one's faults is a hard thing to do. It took two little children to open my eyes. Kids are good at this.

Not long ago I took these two kids and their mom on their first trip to my beach. In my controlling way, I showed them how, when, where and what to fish for. I dominated the day, proving to them that they could learn it all from this "know-it-all." I enjoyed introducing them to my beach, sharing my tackle, teaching my techniques and giving my expertise.

Today their mom called me, laughing. She said her kids asked her if she would take them back to the beach fishing and if Elaine could go. She told them that Elaine had other plans and couldn't go fishing.

The youngest replied, "Well, then, will you call Elaine and ask her if we could borrow her ocean for just one day?"

Dear Lord, forgive me when I let myself become the only god that comes before You. Help me to learn that my every opinion is not necessarily fact and that You are God and that I am not. It's OK for You to be the Know-It-All.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

That was a gentle way to get whumped upside the head.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home